Greeting Earthlings! Today I’m reviewing Chasing Red by Isabelle Rosin!
D: Nothing seem to happen. The characters had a bad attitude or were boring until the end. Story didn’t know what it wanted.
“Caleb was like the sun. He was so warm, so big and bright that you couldn’t help but come closer. But what would happen when I get too close?”
I have been debating on whether I should do a full review but I have a lot of opinions on this book. I did a goodreads review which describes most of my opinions towards this book and it was a pros and cons list so we are doing that but going more depth with this book and my problems with it.
• Veronica is an good lead. In most romance books the female leads are the worst parts of the book as they are treated terribly, need a man to help, never really do anything. Veronica isn’t the best as she has some problems but she is probably one of the better heroines in romance books. She doesn’t let Caleb control her and she doesn’t like it when he calls her mine. Now she does have a past which is why she doesn’t like him calling her that but still. Also she can be kind of funny. I don’t really like how she treats Caleb though.
• Caleb isn’t a terrible person. Again in most romance books the lead guy is terrible. Most of the time they doesn’t respect the leading lady and they are complete assholes but Caleb is better. He respect Veronica and doesn’t get mad at her for stupid things. He respects her and let’s her go at her own pace. Now he can be a jerk at some points and I wanted to punch him at some points but he’s fine. He means well though but that doesn’t mean I have to like him.
• Their relationship is okay. It’s not completely unhealthy but there a lack of trust on Veronica’s side that leads to the down fall of their relationship. Veronica has a hard time trusting Caleb as he was formally a playboy at their college and she can’t really get over that and it brings a lot of problems in their relationship. Because she can’t learn how to trust him it breaks there relationship as Caleb decides he done trying to make her see his way.
• It has funny moments. Honestly though it stops being funny after like fifty pages in. Honestly the beginning is the best part of this story because it’s the part of the story where I like the story and the characters. Every thing sort of falls apart.
• It’s really boring. This book is 397 pages long and nothing really happens until your 90% Into the book and it’s still not that great. The drama is terrible and honestly this story should have just been shorter. It didn’t need to be so long. If you are going to write a book where nothing is happening make it shorter.
• You can predicted everything that happens. Some parts are original but not a lot. Most of this book is just cliche after cliche and it’s nothing you haven’t read before. Oh my god! There is nothing original here. It’s just another story with okay characters with no plot other then waiting to see how their relationship works out.
• Kara who is the sassy best friend chapter who is getting her own book isn’t funny. A lot of things she says are weird and not in a funny way like an awkward tempted to be funny. I hated her. She was so annoying. She isn’t a great and honestly she didn’t add anything to the story. Again she isn’t funny. How is getting her own book?
• The relationship is very fast like they haven’t known each other for very long and suddenly their in love and they live together. I mean the book starts with them moving into together because Veronica doesn’t have a home but their relationship starts early. I don’t know the original timeline of this story but I feel like they have a very fast moving relationship. Again this book is 397 pages and they get together at 100 pages. At least make the relationship last longer if you are going to make me read a longer.
• Girls hating on other girls. Enough said. Okay I’m going to say more. Basically near the end of the book where it tries to be interesting they bring in Caleb’s old girlfriend / childhood best friend. They tried to add like a love triangle which why? There is a lot of hate that is said about the other girl and even though she is villainize so that you don’t feel sorry for her but before that she isn’t treated nicely and she doesn’t treat Veronica nicely either. Why can’t we right romance books where girls aren’t put against each other over a guy? It’s 2018!
• There is no plot for this book unless you call Veronica and Caleb being ridiculous plot. There is plot in the first 20 pages and last 20 pages and that’s it. I guess this okay go in it’s long and boring category but it’s going to be it a whole another thing. There is no arc. There’s nothing happening here.
Look I’ve read better if you like romance you’ll like this. This book was basically just another remind to me why I don’t read romance books anymore. Have you guys read this book? If you have what did you think? I hope you enjoyed this post and make sure to look out for more coming your way soon. You should follow my book club here and my other social media links. I posted rants like this once a week every week and sometimes more. Look out for more reviews and other random posts. Like, Comment, and follow for more rants like these! Also make sure to follow my social media links.
you know you love fiction,
Bookclub: Epic Adaptations